Friday, May 29, 2009

Brockhaus

After our night at Leissigen we had a wonderful drive to Ebnat Kappel. It took us about two hours and our drive was on one of the most scenic routes in all of Switzerland.

On the way we stopped at a one of a kind thrift shop called the “Brockhaus.” I was able to buy a swiss medic bag, probably used during WWII. My sister was able to get the same type bag when she was on team. In the inside flap the name of the original owner is scratched in the leather. They had newer looking ones that were actually a few francs cheaper, but part of the reason you buy an old swiss medic bag is the backstory, which in this case resides nearly completely in the imagination. It has a lot of character. When I said that if had “the perfect amount of weathering” the lady running the shop, and who only spoke German, was standing nearby and she started laughing. Not sure what was funny.










I could have spent hours in that place. So much microhistory packed into one place.

2 comments:

  1. I want to go there! So beautiful and perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's where I got mine! Crazy. They still had some. I'm so glad you got one.

    ReplyDelete